Galette des Rois with Hazelnuts


It's a bit late for Epiphany when this gateau should be eaten, but I found this recipe in a magazine so decided to make it. I liked the idea of using hazelnuts instead of ground almonds, as in the traditional one. I'm sure you know about this gateau, and that in France it has a china figure in it, and whoever finds this figure or fève gets to wear the crown and be the King. Sadly, in our move back from France, my collection of fèves got lost!
    500g butter puff pastry divided into 2
    200g ground hazelnuts [ I found them ready ground in Waitrose, but you can grind your own]
    100g caster sugar
    1 tspn vanilla extract
    3 eggs
    75g butter at room temperature
Preheat oven 180C/gas6
Beat the butter and ground hazelnuts together to make a soft paste. Add 2 of the eggs and the vanilla. Cut each of the pieces of puff pastry into a circle and place one on a piece of baking parchment on a baking sheet.
Spread the hazelnut mixture over the pastry leaving a 2 cm border round the edge.
Separate the 3rd egg, brush the border of the bottom layer with egg white and cover the mixture with the other circle. Press the edges together gently with a fork so they stick together. Brush the top with some beaten egg yolk which has been mixed with 1 tbspn water and cut a small hole in the centre.
Bake for 20-30 mins till golden.


I really liked the flavour of the hazelnuts. I'll certainly make this again, but think I'd grind the nuts myself to give them a bit of texture. I sprinkled some little pieces of sugar on the top just because I had some to use up!


Comments

Suelle said…
I can imagine this working really well with hazelnuts - I've used hazelnut frangipan in other recipes and it usually has a stronger flavour than almonds.
Every year I intend to revive my long-lost tradition of baking something for 12th night and every year I don't quite get round to it and so I'm full of admiration that you did. I'm a big, big fan of hazelnuts and so this is just perfect for me. I had collected a few fèves but they do go missing and the only one I've seen recently seems to be a representation of Daffy Duck. Not very traditional but I do admire his interpretation of the song 'Yesterday'.
Looks lovely - can't beat a bit of puff

Popular posts from this blog

Lemon Coconut Slices

My favourite Plum Tart

Galette des Rois with Chocolate and Hazelnuts